Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pregnancy Update #5,324,456

I posted a quick update on Facebook this afternoon about what I found out at my ultrasound yesterday---and so I'll use my blog to add a few details.

So, last week I had an ultrasound to determine if my placenta had moved. I blogged about that and how I was hoping it would have migrated up- then I wrote that it DID move and was considered low lying, and I was off restricted activity. Happy day! During that ultrasound, they also discovered that I had too much amniotic fluid so my doctor ordered another ultrasound for this week to make sure everything was OK with the baby.

Yesterday was that ultrasound. The baby is fine and my levels of amniotic fluid weren't quite as high as they measured last week. The baby's growth is also great- 4 days ahead of schedule. However, the placenta became an issue again. I had told the ultrasound tech that it WAS a previa, but it had moved and she looked at me like, "no, it didn't." She kept saying, "it is really low." She went and got the radiologist, who came back in and confirmed that it was, in fact, still placenta previa. It was a bit confusing because I know the placenta can't move up and then move back down, but he explained that ultrasounds aren't exact sciences and the way the tech held the instrument could've affected the reading. My OB met with the radiologist and I got a phone call yesterday afternoon from my doctor.

My doc put me back on restricted activity. We'll do another ultrasound next month to see if the placenta moves at all. I'm told my odds are not very likely that it will, but there's always a chance. At that point, he might do amniocentesis to see if the baby's lungs are developed enough to be born and I might be having this baby next month! Not prepared for that! We'll just have to see what happens. I'm learning that it is probably better for the baby to be outside a little early then to be sitting on its lifeline on the inside. Makes me nervous!

I cried all day yesterday, ate chocolate, and slept instead of cleaning. But I am better today. I'm at 30 weeks now. Thanks for all of you who are going on this pregnancy rollercoaster with me. I love the comments and support and especially experiences that are similar to mine!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Courtney! i'm sorry you're having a roller coaster week! i have done all of that before!! Delivered early, had too much fluid, had special very detailed ultrasounds, visited lots of doctors and technicians, cried and worried and cried and everything. I can say that all these people are taking care of you and they really do know what they are doing! So hopefully you feel like you can trust your doctor. it sounds like he is definitely aware of you and your baby. i would suggest you do everything exactly like they tell you as far as your restricted activity goes, but even if you end up delivering early it doesn't mean that you did anything wrong. The NICU teams are AMAZING if you end up needing to meet them! I was about as far along as you are now when i delivered. My doctors all told me that the baby being stressed in the womb actually matured his organs so he ended up being more developed than he probably should've/would've been had he not been under stress. Most of all, Heavenly Father sure is aware of you! Good luck!!! Love you!

Kiki said...

Oh, Sweetie! I'm glad you have a good doctor who cares about the details like this. But I'm so sorry you got only one week of vacation from restricted activity before the bad news hit. She'll be so worth it, though!! I'm thinking of & praying for you.

Ashley said...

Let me know if you need anything...Noah is always welcome to come over here and play! I'm thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Gees, what ups and downs! Just when you got your hopes all up that you'd be able to do everything you wanted to. I'm sorry your going through this. Man, your body just doesn't like being pregnant does it! : ) You are such an awesome momma for going through all you do to bring your babies into this world! I'm so proud of you.

Randrea said...

Been thinking of you even though we are a million miles away right now! I'm so sorry that you have to go through all of that! So Glad that you and baby are still healthy. I hope I can help out some when I come back!