Monday, March 18, 2013

Did you Bring the Kindergardner?

Anyone who knows my little Noah knows that he's- well, little.  He was born at 4 lbs 9 oz, not because he was early, but because he had IUGR (intra-uterine growth restriction) where he basically stopped growing after 34 weeks gestation.  He's always been smaller than other kids his age, but as he's getting closer to turning 5 (in July) and starting Kindergarten this year, we decided we'd better check and see if we needed to start growth hormones or do any other special measures. 

Noah stats: 28 lbs.  36 inches.  4 years 8 months old.  0.3 %

Dr. S decides to do an X-ray to determine his bone age.  If his bone age is 4 years 8 months or older, it would mean that he is always going to be extremely small.  If his bones are aged younger, then he just has stunted growth and he will catch up.

So, how old are them bones?! 

2 years 8 months!  Hooray!

If you plug his measurements into the 2 1/2 year old chart, then he is 25%.  Still 3 out of 4 two year olds are going to be bigger than him, but we are still excited that he is going to catch up sometime. 

So, yes I'm sending my sweet boy that looks like he is 2 1/2 to kindergarten this year.  After counseling with his preschool teachers and talking it over with Jared, we all feel like he is socially, mentally, and emotionally ready to start. 

When we went to Kindergarten registration last week, I handed a lady our paperwork and she looked at me and then Noah and asked me, "Did you bring the Kindergardner?"  It was awesome.

 (so you can get an idea, Suzy is like 15% for 2 1/2 year olds)
 



 
I sure LOVE my little, smart, sweet man!

 

5 comments:

slopfam said...

Yay for young bones!! That little Noah is going to do awesome in kindergarten. Love that kid!

KT said...

I didn't realize he was so tiny. I'm so glad the x-rays showed what you hoped for! (also, I had no idea x-rays could show bone age very cool!)

Hooray for Kindergarten!

Kelly said...

I'm glad you're blogging again! I keep intending too.... Love the pictures! He's going to love kindergarten!

Hayley said...

good!!

he's going to do great :)

Rachel said...

Ok, this made me laugh so hard. I need to stop reading and go to bed. I love Noah so much and that kid will blow everyone out of the water at kindergarten with his smarts. And for people who think he's a toddler let em think that you have the most genius toddler in the world! When Addi was a giant 2 year old throwing terrible tantrums or sucking on her pacifier I know people thought my kid was way to old to be showing such behavior but she wasn't!